Re: NFS install requires accurate time, yes?

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 00:31:55 -0800, Oscar Levi <elf@buici.com> said:
> I've been having chronic difficulty installing over NFS...to a UDB.
> I discovered this evening that the reason one Alpha could NFS mount
> and another not was the correctness of the clocks.  After setting
> the clocks correctly...bingo.  So may I humbly suggest that this be
> added to the documentation for NFS installs

Added.

> and that we add an optional step for setting the clock?

Would that just be 'rdate <server>'?  Here's what I added:

  If you are installing the base system from NFS, then choose NFS and
  continue.  You'll be prompeted to specify the server, the share on
  the server, and the subdirectory within that share where the
  <file>&base-disk-tarball;</file> file can be found.  If you have
  problems mounting NFS, make sure that the system time on the NFS
  server more or less agrees with the system time on the client.  You
  hostname or IP of the NFS server.

Um, is rdate on the rescue floppy?  Gurk...

> Note that this problem is exacerbated by the change to hwclock (from
> clock?) which does not appear to comprehend ARC time.  SRM, too,
> appears to use a different notion of time.

What is ARC time?  An alpha thing?