Re: controlling installation from a serial terminal

James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> wrote:
> >Have you seen utilities/dinstall/baseconfig.c: update_console_info()?
> >It probably does what you want.
>
> Er, yes.  I had forgotten.
>
> I suspect that a compile-time choice (controlled by #define
> SERIAL_CONSOLE) is the wrong way to go, though.  Either we ought to
> enable logins for everyone, or else ask the user what he wants.

I wrote the first code for sparc because the first sparc I got was headless.
m68k support was added later with minor changes.  Just experiment it for i386
and merge your changes to the actual code.  The only way to see whether it
works or not is to try it on every architecture.

> I intend to find out whether these (plus a base2_1.tgz from a previous
> build) would be enough for a loadlin installation.  However, I would
> still like to support floppy installations eventually.  I would
> appreciate suggestions:
>
>   - What is the best way to persuade the boot-floppies scripts to
>     finish building the installation files, even if root.bin and the
>     other installation files would not fit onto the rescue disk?
>     (After all, loadlin installations don't need the rescue disk.)
>
>   - Is there an easy way to put the kernel and root filesystems on
>     separate floppies?  I think we will have to do this with 2.2.x
>     kernels, anyway.  (I think preparing one more floppy for an
>     installation is not a big problem.  A single rescue floppy is very
>     convenient, and may still be possible if it does not have to do
>     installations too.)  I know about the ramdisk0 and floppy0 modes,
>     but they only work if I can create a rescue floppy to begin with.

Just put root.bin on a blank floppy and pass "load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1"
to the kernel.  Sparc is working like that because the root filesystem is too
big to fit on the rescue disk (it contains full libc6 since I was not able to
build a working smaller library along with glibc 2.1).

Regards.