Re: Debian 2.0 install

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 05:56:43PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> That was what we are talking about, they simply would not be on the boot
> floppies but would be packaged seperately to advoid confusion. Ie we have
> 2 cdrom methods, 2 nfs methods, 4 'disk' methods, 3 ftp and 2 http !

The base system currently includes dpkg, dpkg-mountable, dpkg-multicd and
apt.

dpkg provides cdrom, nfs, harddisk, mounted and floppy
dpkg-mountable provides mountable
dpkg-multicd provides multi_cd, multi_nfs and multi_mount

I guess dpkg-mountable may be removed from the base system.

Someone should move methods on dpkg*.deb to their own packages, and make
dpkg*.deb depend on a virtual package "dselect-method". That way I may
exclude some of those old methods from the base system, but they will be
there as packages if someone needs them. But, as that means messing with
dpkg I guess that won't happen for slink.

As a kludge, I may remove the /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/disk/ directory from
the base system, or modify /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/disk/names there, thus
removing cdrom, nfs, harddisk and mounted, or just some of them, from the
list of available methods, but I fear the flames and flood of bug reports
that will happen next...

Would it be enough to change the default access method to multi_cd?
(Just echoing "multicd multi_cd" to /var/lib/dpkg/cmethopt ).

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es