Re: amiga 'native OS' install

Nick Holgate wrote:

> > For all m68k machines, booting from an existing operating system is the
> _only_
> > option. There's a LILO for Amiga and even for Atari but no one has written
> > the scripts to use these boot methods for Debian/68k yet.
> >

> Not quite true, 'boot-floppies' has full 'vmelilo' support for the
> BVME4000/6000, MVME162, MVME166 and MVME167. These boards do not have an
> existing operating, just comparatively simple boot strap loader ROMs, that
> support booting from SCSI hard disks, SCSI floppy disk (TEAC FC-1) and TFTP.
> Additionally BVME boards can boot from 'El-Torito' bootable CD-ROMs in a
> SCSI CD-ROM drive. I added partial SCSI floppy support to 'boot-floppies' a
> while back, i.e. partial as in can do everything except make a bootable
> floppy at install time.

I've not seen the VME stuff enabled in the 2.1.4 boot floppies source so
I didn't touch it. In the current 2.1.4 bootfloppies binaries, there is
consequentially _no_ VME support.

I'm aware there are references to vmelilo in the boot-floppies source,
but there's no kernel image package for VME, and there's no one that
could possibly test those things among the m68k developers. If you have
access
to VME hardware, please get in contact with Chris or me so we can get a VME
kit built and tested.

Without being able to test the VME installation, I do see no point including
the VME boot floppies in the distribution. This is Debian, not Eagle.

	Michael