Re: Debian 2.0 install

On 20 Jan 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> * I need need *need* documentation for what acquisition methods are
> better for what media (cdrom, local filesystem, ftp, ftp with proxy
> requiring auth, etc, etc, etc).  Could someone please even just send
> me an ascii file documenting the acquisition methods?
>
> I think this is the current list:

>   cdrom          Install from a CD-ROM.
>   nfs            Install from an NFS server (not yet mounted).
>   harddisk       Install from a hard disk partition (not yet mounted).
>   mounted        Install from a filesystem which is already mounted.
>   ftp            Install using ftp.
>   http           Install using http:, ftp:, and file: URLs.

Last I heard these ones where really quite bad and had problems with
pre-depends and others. Other than the 'not yet mounted' stuff apt largely
replaces all of them -- there are some features a very small number of
people need that only those methods provide but that is fairly rare.

>   multi_cd       Install from a CD-ROM set.
>   multi_nfs      Install from an NFS server (using the CD-ROM set) (not yet mounted).
>   multi_mount    Install from a mounted partition with changing contents.
>   mountable      Install from a partition named in fstab
>   floppy         Install from a pile of floppy disks.
>   apt            APT Acquisition [file,http,ftp]

It would be nice to roll the multi-* packages into one somehow to reduce
confusion.. The multi-* mehods are needed because apt does not support cd
swaps in 0.1, mountable could be removed even though it is a good method
and floppy is unique as well :>

Jason