boot parameters and bootkbd

On 16 Jan 1999 15:12:46 -0000, ezanard@master.debian.org said:
> CVSROOT: /debian/home/sr1/lib/cvs Module name: .  Changes by:
> ezanard 99/01/16 09:12:46

> Modified files: boot-floppies/utilities/dinstall: dinstall.h
> kbdconfig.c main.c main_menu.c
> boot-floppies/utilities/dinstall/messages: lang_C.h lang_es.h

> Log message: Added support for selecting the keymap using a boot
> parameter (bootkbd).

What is the benefit of doing it this way?  How does it affect the
keyboard selection later?

BTW, I've added a section on setting boot parameters, needed to be
populated though still.  Here's the parameters which will be
documents:

  'floppy='
  'hd='
  [other stuff to be found in f5.txt]
  'memory=' [needed on some compaqs -- x86 only]

I guess most of this stuff as found in f5.txt is x86 only, more or
less, or rather, only ever needed on x86?