Re: testing group -- please test the documentation

Hello Stephane,
I wrote the thing about "facelift". English is not my first language, so
maybe it is the wrong expressen.

What I see in the word "facelift" is to make something better, or make
something look better.

----
When I read sec. 7.18 (the text is available below) I feld,
	. yes the keywords are there
	. I get confused

The first three paragraphs are ok. I read them and get the idea.
Then is says "Soon," and I get uncertain, is it the next step or are there
some steps inbetween.
Then comes an warning, now I have two uncertainties in my head, oh, it
wasn't really a warning.
Then there is talk about making accounts again, and I loose the thread.

Is this correct?

	the doc is mostly for new debian installers

Then the doc is their helping hand, showing a good path, through their
installation chaos. It's like discovering a new land, very fashinating but
also very frightening.
Can we show them the path?
No, there are too many choises. Good for me, it gives me freedom.
Bad for the new. They get lost.

Is this correct?

	most new installers install from a cd

Then the doc should tell them what to type in go get through. Maybe give
two choises, a safe install, and a typical install.

----
Back to your question. The last one first.

What is wrong or badly explained?
The thread is lost. What comes first, what comes next.

What do you want to change in that section?
The last three paragraphs.
Can the following be of any help.

Please read the dselect tutorial before you start using deselect on your
own hand. Remember unix always has and always will give enough rope to
hang yourself.

Well lets doit then. (assuming cdrom on /dev/hdc)
Step one, choose a profile.
	Choose "BASIC" to be safe, or
	Choose "Standard Workstation" for a normal install.
Step two, dselect.
	0, access		<press enter>
		choose multi_cd
			enter /dev/hdc
	1, update		<press enter>
	2, select		skip this step
	3, install		<press enter>

		Here all new software is installed it will start out like:
		Deselected means that this software was not choosen this
		time.

Running dpkg -iGROEB /home/debian/hamm/main/binary-i386
Version 6.3.2-4 of acct already installed, skipping.
Skipping deselected package omirr.
			here a check is done about the installed state
(Reading database ... 55960 files and directories currently installed.)
			here some software is copied to disk
Unpacking auto-pgp (from .../mail/auto-pgp_1.04-1.deb) ...

			when all wanted software is copied, the
			configuring starts and it can ask you
			questions about how it should configure some
			of the software
			for this software suitable answers are...
			for that software suitable answers are...
Setting up auto-pgp (1.04-1) ...
install/auto-pgp: Ignoring emacsen flavour emacs
install/auto-pgp: Byte-compiling for emacsen flavour emacs20
install/auto-pgp: Byte-compiling for emacsen flavour xemacs20
			and it all ends in
Installation OK.  Hit RETURN.
			which brings you back to the menu.

	4, config		skip this step
	5, remove		skip this step
	6, quit			<press enter>

Finished, congratulations!
Now you can start using the system.

Or will take too much space.

Cheers,
/Karl

Karl Hammar		Aspö Data		karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340		0173 140 57
S-742 94 Östhammar	070 511 97 84		Professionella Linuxlösningar
Sweden

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> [I'm not on debian-testing, Cc me if you reply only on this list.]

> > > This section do need a facelift.
> >
> > Yes, any particular comments?
>
> I wrote this section (and Adam fixed it). But the fact that I write
> documentation in english does not mean I can read english. What is a
> "facelift"? What do you want to change in that section? What is wrong or badly
> explained?
>
> > > I.e. no /local/ part and tar xzf without directory.
> >
> > Why?  I actually like using /usr/local better since it's under user
> > control, not dpkg control.
>
> (I wrote this section, too.) I agree. Moreover, it is the recommended way in kernel-package documentation.
>

> --

==== Text from ch-init-config.html ====

7.18 Select and install programs

The system will now ask you if you want to use the pre-rolled software
configurations offered by Debian. You can always choose, package by
package, what do you want to install on your new box. This is the purpose
of the dselect program, described below. But this can be a long task with
around 2250 packages available in Debian!

So, you have the ability to choose tasks or profiles instead. A task is a
work you will do with the machine such as ``Perl programming'' or ``HTML
authoring'' or ``Chinese word processing''. You can choose several tasks.
A profile is a category your machine will be a member of such as "Network
server" or ``Personal workstation''. Unlike the tasks, you can choose only
one profile.

To summary, if you are in a hurry, choose one profile. If you have more
time, choose the Custom profile and select a set of tasks. If you have
plenty of time and want very precise control on what is or is not
installed, skip this step and use the full power of
dselect.

Soon, you will enter into dselect. If you selected tasks or profiles,
remember to skip the ``Select'' step of dselect, since the selections have
already been made.

A word of warning about the size of the tasks, as it is displayed: the
size shown for each task is the sum of the sizes of its packages. If you
choose two tasks that share some packages, the actual disk requirement
will be less than the sum of the sizes for the two
tasks.

Once you've added both logins (root and personal), you'll be dropped into
the dselect program. The dselect Tutorial is required reading before you
run dselect. dselect allows you to select packages to be installed on your
system. If you have a CD-ROM or hard disk containing the additional Debian
packages that you want to install on your system, or you are connected to
the Internet, this will be useful to you right away. Otherwise, you may
want to quit dselect and start it later, once you have transported the
Debian package files to your system. You must be the super-user (root)
when you run dselect.