Re: testing group -- please test the documentation

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:42:14 +0100 (CET), "Karl B. Hammar" <karl@kalle.csb.ki.se> said:
> Since you asked, read trough starting with install.html.

Excellent.

> The 53c8xx works fine with boot-floppies 2.1.4, in my case a Tekram
> 390-U.

Ah, yes, this was a bug.  It's only 53c7 that isn't supported; you
can't have both.  Fixed.

>> 3.3.4 Virus Protection ... and Linux has a better method of
>> protecting you from viruses.

> Makes one wounder, what method?

Well, I guess I should mention something here.  But the method is
'file system permissions', I would venture.  And protected memory and
all that.  I don't think I want to go there.  Maybe I should just say
how rare viruses are on Unix.

Ok, it now reads:

  Disable any virus-warning features your BIOS may provide. If you
  have a virus-protection board or other special hardware, make sure
  it is disabled or physically removed while running GNU/Linux. These
  aren't compatible with GNU/Linux; moreover, due to the file system
  permissions and protected memory of the Linux kernel, viruses are
  almost unheard of.

>> 2.5.3 Fake or ``Virtual'' Parity RAM 3.3.9 Bad RAM

> DIMM is common today.  And how about ECC, do Linux support it.  I
> can't find anything about it in the kernel sources.

I would assume it's an issue that the mainboard/firmware would handle?
Not sure.

I try to refer to memory as 'memory' or 'memory modules'.  RAM is a
pretty generic term too; I've tried to take out talk of SIMMs.

At any rate, I'm not sure what you're suggesting I should add here.

>> 5.1 Introduction

>> Once you've booted into Linux, the dbootstrap program will launch
>> and guide you through the second step, the initial system
>> configuration. This step is described in detail in Using dbootstrap
>> for Initial System Configuration, chapter 7.

> I cannot find any binary named dbootstrap on the floppy.  Don't you
> mean dinstall.

No, it's called dbootstrap, even it it might still be named dinstall.
dinstall is confusing since it's the name of Guy's scripts to install
stuff from Incoming.   Enrique, is this a bug on boot-floppies?

>> 7.3 ``Configure the Keyboard''

>> Once the system is installed, you'll be able to select a keyboard
>> layout from a wider range of choices.

> You don't tell them how, and I don't remember any such question
> after the harddisk reboot.

Oh, I guess I should point them to the relevant package, which I
*think* is ``kbd''.  I'll just tell them to read /usr/doc/kbd/..., ok?

Now it says:

  Once the system installation is complete, you'll be able to select a
  keyboard layout from a wider range of choices (read the
  documentation in <file>/usr/doc/kbd/</file> when you've finished
  installing).

>> 7.4 The Shell

> Tell them also that error messages might go the ALT-F3 screen.

Funny, already done last night!  Check out my automatic updated area,
<URL:http://www.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies/>.

>> 7.8 ``Initialize a Linux Partition''

>> These floppies will not upgrade an old system without removing the
>> files -- Debian provides a different procedure than using the boot
>> floppies for upgrading existing Debian systems. Thus, if you are
>> using old disk partitions that are not empty, you should initialize
>> them (which erases all files) here.

> One could get the impression that the Debian upgrade procedure is to
> erase all old files.

Yes, was unclear, reworded.

>> Once you've mounted the / partition, the ``Next'' menu item will be
>> ``Install Operating System Kernel and Modules'' unless you've
>> already performed some of the installation steps. You can use the
>> arrow keys to select the menu items to initialize and/or mount disk
>> partitions if you have any more partitions to set up. If you have
>> created separate partitions for /var, /usr, or other filesystems,
>> you should initialize and/or mount them now.

> It is very easy to miss that part (initialize the other partitions).
> It is too easy just to press enter and totaly miss the /usr, etc.
> partitions.

Hmm, you might want to file a bug against boot-floppies, then.  It
looks like I cover this in the documentation, no?

>> 7.14 ``Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk''

> You should tell the reader that he won't then be able to boot DOS
> etc.  without some work. Some people will be pretty surprised
> otherwise.

Done.  There's a lot of work we could do on improving lilo support,
or, better yet, going with grub or something better (more dynamic and
x-platform).

> Seems you missed the: 7.17b, Create ordinary user

> 7.17c, Do you want shadow password support

> 7.17d, Shall we remove PCMCIA stuff

Thanks!  Stubbed out at least for now.

>> 7.18 Select and install programs

> This section do need a facelift.

Yes, any particular comments?

>> 7.20 Setting up PPP

> Make a note that pon, plog and poff must be run from a root account.

Done.

>> 8.2 Further Reading and Information You can find documentation for
>> all the programs on your system in /usr/doc.

> Not really true. Why not say:

> You might find documentation on a program with

> 	man program info program

> or check out

> 	/usr/doc/package

> /usr/doc/HOWTO and /usr/doc/FAQ contains lots of interesting
> information.

Not fair -- you didn't let me do more than stub this out! ;)

>> 8.3 Compiling a New Kernel

>> Hereafter, we'll assume your kernel source is located in
>> /usr/local/src and we that your kernel version is 2.0.36. Change
>> your directory to where you want to unpack the kernel sources (cd
>> /usr/local/src), extract the kernel sources (tar >xzf
>> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.36.tar.gz), change your directory to it
>> (cd kernel-source-2.0.36).

> Shouldn't it read:

> Hereafter, we'll assume your kernel source is located in /usr/src
> and we that your kernel version is 2.0.36. Change your directory to
> where you want to unpack the kernel sources (cd /usr/src), extract
> the kernel sources (tar xzf kernel-source-2.0.36.tar.gz), change
> your directory to it (cd kernel-source-2.0.36).

> I.e. no /local/ part and tar xzf without directory.

Why?  I actually like using /usr/local better since it's under user
control, not dpkg control.