Re: German translation of the Sarge Installation Manual

On Sunday 18 April 2004 20:16, Wolfgang Silbermayr wrote:
> I already asked in the #debian-boot channel on irc.freenode.net, but
> nobody answered, so I am trying here again. I saw that the Sarge
> Installation Manual is not yet available in german, so I checked out the
> installer from the svn repository, and there it is also not available.
> If there is nobody working on it yet, I could at least translate some
> parts (depending on how much spare time i can get). Can anybody tell me
> where to start and where i can send the files?

Hello Wolfgang,

I am working on a Dutch translation of the manual and had the same questions
when I started a while back.
The coordinator for the manual is Miroslav Kure. You can find his email
address in the archives for this list.

It would be good to first announce your intention on
debian-l10n-german@lists.debian.org and to see if people there would be
willing to review your translations.

You can find the best place to start translating by taking a look at the
second paragraph on http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/.

The easiest way to get your translations in CVS is to first get a
guest-account on alioth (http://alioth.debian.org/account/register.php) and
then request d-i SVN access (as translator) by sending an email to this list.
Alternatively you can send them to me, Miroslav, this list or maybe someone
with SVN access on the l10n-german list, but having SVN access for yourself
is most flexible.

If you like, I can create a 'de' subdirectory containing the current English
documents (and add an 'install.de.xml' document in the build directory); you
can then replace these one doc at a time with German translations. You will
have be alert for changes in the original English documents to keep the
German translation in sync with the English version (this is fairly easy with
SVN).
When you have translated a good proportion, the German translation can be
included on http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/.
You'll also have to keep an eye on the debconf translations for d-i and basic
packages to keep the manual in line with what a user will see when he/she
performs an installation.

You'll probably want to change the encoding for the docs to ISO-8859-1 by
adding <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> in translated docs (see
the fr or nl translations for examples).

Don't hesitate to mail me if you have further questions.

Cheers,

FJP