Re: DO NOT CHANGE TEMPLATES NOW (was: Re: English localization)

GRRRRR. We had several *weeks* of work on english strings and such
reports come *now*.
I had the time when I had the time. Also, I started following and trying to help debian-boot only after you were nearly done with the work. :-/ It took me a while to get the hang of the system. Then I waited until I'd constructed a complete list of everything I'd noticed. :-/ Sorry.

Be pleased that the vast majority of strings are perfect. :-D The strings for anna and main-menu are particularly nice.

I haven't quite worked out where all the messages I commented on come from -- there are SO MANY tiny template files. I started going through the CVS trying to track them all down, but I wore out partway through tools/.

Please note that I mentioned that some changes seemed important to me and some seemed especially unimportant; feel free to not make the unimportant changes, ever, if you like, especially the ones which would fuzzy the translations.

That's pretty annoying. Moreover, the current sentences seem to have
been accepted as they were....and native speakers were among the
proofreaders, as far as I know.
The level of proficiency in English in the average American English native speaker.... well, I won't get into that. :-P

Of course, the manpower in this field is quite low unfortunately.
Yup.

I propose that NO CHANGE is made to the current strings, at least
without UNFUZZYING translations.
I noted that most of my changes SHOULD NOT involve translation changes.

Translators made a huge work and changing original strings without
fuzzying their work is a complicated work which has to be made package
by package.
Which is an unfortunate deficiency in the .po system, but it should be done. :-/

Unless someone has time for doing this (and doing this
*properly*....NO FUZZY STRING should appear in now complete
translations), these change will be made after beta-2.
Which seems *entirely* reasonable to me. Presumably sarge will be released after beta-2. :-)

--
Only one question seemed truly problematic in *design* (rather than simply in English grammar and usage), and it *will* require retranslation:

#. Type: select
#. Description
msgid ""
"Please choose the interface you want to configure. All currently detected "
"interfaces on your system are shown below. Please choose the type of your "
"primary network interface. This interface will be used for installing the "
"Debian system (via NFS or HTTP)."
msgstr ""

What the heck are you choosing? The "interface you want to configure" or the "type of your primary network interface"? Those are not the same thing (and for that matter, neither of them is clear to a newbie). I can't tell from just the template what the actual list is going to look like, which determines what the message should say.

This one is in netcfg (netcfg-common.templates). It's netcfg/choose-interface. I tried to figure out what ${ifchoices} would look like from the script, but I couldn't; I guess I would have to make an installer test run to figure that out. Or... someone could tell me. ;-)

Will the list look like:
eth0
eth1

(in which case you are choosing the 'interface you want to configure' -- of course, a list like this will probably be confusing to a newbie anyway!)

Or will it look like:
Ethernet
Token Ring

(in which case you are choosing the 'type of your primary network interface'; and it should probably have a better description so that a newbie will know what a 'network interface' is)

Or perhaps will it look like:
eth0 (Ethernet)
eth1 (Ethernet)

Or will it look like something else?...