Re: Minimal powerpc kernel, miboot users please test (Was Re: modularized powerpc kernel)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:05:29AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > > I still had no luck with the 9500, either. The 2.2.20 kernel boots,
> > > but all 2.4 kernels give the same result: the video is not switched on
> > > in Linux. Many of the 2.4 kernels boot, I can type in my root login
> > > and 'reboot' blind, and the computer reboots. But they don't drive
> > > video. The 9500 is different from many Macs in that its video board is
> > > not built-in, but instead hangs off the PCI bus. This may have
> > > something to do with the problem.
> >
> > Can you post a lspci output when running the 2.2.20 kernel ? This sounds
> > suspiciously like a missing fbdev driver for the graphic board.
>
> It says it is a Mach64GX, and I have CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX compiled in to
> all the ones I've tried; I assume that's the one.
>
> 00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Bandit PowerPC host bridge (rev 02)
> 00:0f.0 VGA comppatible controller: ATI Technolgies Inc 210888GX [Mach64 GX] (rev 02)
> 00:10.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Grand Central I/O (rev 02)

Strange, It is included in the kernel i build too. Could you send me the
.config of your 2.2.20 kernel, as well as the output of lspci with the
-n option to get the device numbers. I remember a recent discussion on
the linux-fbdev list about some strangeness with Mach64 pci ids, maybe
it is related.

Friendly,

Sven Luther