Re: discover2 packages for debian-installer

Am Mit, den 29.10.2003 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen um 00:05:
> [Gaudenz Steinlin]
> > Since I didn't hear anything from progeny I have made discover2 packages
> > for testing. You can download them at
> > http://www.soziologie.ch/~steinlin/d-i/discover2/
>
> Good work.  Sorry it took so long before I found time to test it.
> Here is the initial test report:
>
> When I try to build using these udebs, I ran into this:
>
>   The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>     discover-udeb: Depends: libexpat1 (>= 1.95.6)
>
> I had to install the libexpat1 package in my build directory to get
> past this problem.
>
> Next problem was missing libdiscover.so.2.  I solved this by
> installing libdiscover2.
Yes these are missing in build/debian/control because they are only
needed for discover2.

> Next was failure to find -lexpat.  Installing libexpat1-dev got me
> past that problem.
This error is very strange. Are building the discover package or are you
building debian-installer? For building debian-installer libexpat1-dev
should not be necessary. I can build installer images without it.

I just tried to build images with libdiscover2-pic installed. In this
situation I get the same error. I suspect this is some mklibs weirdness
because libdiscover2 links to libexpat1 but there is no libexpat1-pic.
However installing libexpat1-dev seems wrong to me.

Please try to build from a clean system without libexpat1-dev and
without libdiscover2-pic and libdiscover2-dev. Probably it is also a
good idea to remove all discover1 packages to prevent weird mklibs
inferences there.

> Then I got stuck with this message:
>
>   [...]
>   532 symbols, 40 unresolved
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "/usr/bin/mklibs", line 434, in ?
>       raise "Unresolvable symbol " + symbol
>   Unresolvable symbol discover_device_get_model_id
>   make: *** [cdrom-tree-stamp] Error 1
>
> I got a bit further by installing libdiscover2-pic, but hit another
> missing symbol.
I don't have this error, don't know why it does not work for you...

>   571 symbols, 27 unresolved
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "/usr/bin/mklibs", line 434, in ?
>       raise "Unresolvable symbol " + symbol
>   Unresolvable symbol _discover_get_ata_raw
>   make: *** [cdrom-tree-stamp] Error 1
>
> I tried to install the new libdiscover-dev to solve it, but it did not
> help.
libdiscover-dev should not be needed like libexpat1-dev.

> Any idea how I should proceed from here?
Not really, because building installer images works for me both on
powerpc and i386. (but see above).

Thanks

gaudenz