Re: INSTALL REPORT

Pierre Machard <pmachard@debian.org> writes:

> Debian-installer-version:
> 23-Oct-2003 16:16
> gluck.d.o/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/daily/sarge-i386-netinst.iso
>
> uname -a: Linux (none) 2.4.22-1-i386 #9 Sat Oct 4
>
> Date: Fri Oct 24 20:28:49 CEST 2003
> Method: cdrom
>
> Machine: Packard Bell iMedio (family computer)
> Processor: Pentium III
> Memory: 384 Mb (256 + 128)
> Root Device: IDE Quantum Fireball 40 Gb
>
> Base System Installation Checklist:
>
> Initial boot worked:    [E]
> Configure network HW:   [ ]
> Config network:         [E]
> Detect CD:              [O]
> Load installer modules: [O]
> Detect hard drives:     [O]
> Partition hard drives:  [E]
> Create file systems:    [O]
> Mount partitions:       [O]
> Install base system:    [E]
> Install boot loader:    [E]
> Reboot:                 [O]
> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
>
> Comments/Problems:
>
> --- Initial boot worked ----
>
> Boot problem with Framebuffer. (nVidia Riva TNT2)
> The interface does not refresh. When I switch to a console
> and I return back to the main window, i need to "erase" the window by
> moving the cursor.

Thats the bogl bug and not a boot problem. I realy wonder why the
author/maintainer doesn't fix that. Its anoying.

> --- Config network ---
>
> [netcfg-static]
> I have a red screen once I pressed enter, after I have been displayed the
> summary. But the network is ok.
>
> --- Partition hard drives ---
>
> Partitionner displays a NTFS partition as an ext2 partition.....
> Autopartitionner lauch, envenif I had previously partitioned my disks by
> hand. Then, I am always ask for an autopartition, if I select an other
> item.

The choosing manual and auto partitioning is a main-menu bug. It does
the same for static and dhcp network config.

> --- Install base system ---
>
> Due to the problem with autopatkit, i've runned it sevral times. On my first
> install everything was Ok, but the next times, I had a problem with
> debootstrap. =>
>
> ls: /target/usr/bin/awk: File exists

ls reports an error if a file exists? That error makes no
sense. Anyone got a clue what it realy is?

> --- Install boot loader ---
>
> The grub-installer does not remove the old lilo which was installed on the
> box.
>
> --- Other ---
>
> Language sometimes go back to English. I mean, i have to select French
> language several times.
>
> Recurrent problem with autopartkit is very anoying. It prevents the whole
> install system to run automaticaly.
>

> I do not have the time to develop more that that now there is thunder...
>
> Cheers,

MfG
        Goswin