Re: i18n of main-menu and Packages

>[Kenshi Muto]
>> I'm testing debian-installer, but found some problems about
>> localize messages.
>
>I just noticed that no one replied to your message.  Some of the
>issues you brought up are fixed, as we moved the translation of menu
>entries to templates, while others are yet to be solved.
>
>> 4. Build tool makes reduced UTF font for bogl-term, but checks only
>>    /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates and some English characters (using by
>>    `strings' tool. This tool doesn't recognize UTF-8 character).
>>    /var/lib/dpkg/status isn't be checked. so if we includes
>>    Description-LL into udeb merely, some of character will be missing.
>>
>> 5. Moreover, this font check works only very small first stage of
>>    debian-installer. Debian-installer dynamically loads installer
>>    packages and show menu (retrieved from Packages file of
>>    debian-installer apt-line), but some of their strings will be
>>    missing. The contents of Packages file depends on architecture.
>>
>> Do you have a good idea?
>
>These two are still unsolved, as far as I know.  I have no idea how to
>extract UTF-8 strings like 'strings' do on binaries.
>
>One idea for the bterm font problem is to teach bterm do detect when a
>new bterm-unifont package is installed, and to start using this new
>and complete font file when this happen.  I'm not sure how easy that
>is.

The first, I think, is not a problem: there is IIRC no code in
debian-installer itself that uses gettext, so the only non-ASCII
strings should be within the templates. We only see gettext
once baseconfig runs and we have code within /target; by then
bterm-unifont, with the full font, should  be in place.

For the second, I think the best solution is to signal
bterm to restart with the new font when installed; this
means a patch for bterm, which I'll investigate. I'll patch bterm to restart
quietly on receiving SIGHUP rather
than die.
(I have i18n fixes for kbd-chooser and choose-mirror to test and
commit first, once the daily builds are working properly;
they're not for me, but the ftp.ie.debian.org mirror is a bit behind.; I'll
see tonight).

I started a solution to this a while back, and put code in
the bterm-unifont udeb postinst to KILL -HUP bterm.  this is wrong; I could
put it in bterm-unifont.isinstallable. This works, but abuses the isinstallable
semantics again.

Any better ideas?