Re: build/debian dir

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > debian-installer-source is so people can "apt-get install
> > debian-installer-source" and rebuild Debian Installer CDs (when sarge
> > is released, till then it just along for the ride).
>
> FWIW, I object to this too -- "apt-get source" exists.

Point taken, removing.

> > debian-installer-buildlogs will (try to) build all images allowed for
> > <arch> and put the build log and diskusage-* in
> > usr/share/doc/debian-installer-buildlogs. Its a udeb cause its only
> > intresting for us and noways cares about policy.
>
> I object to creating udebs that are not used by the installer to get
> around debian policy. It will give udebs a bad name.

Ok, making a deb.

> The build daemons have an extensive, and easy to use logging system.
> There is no need to reinvent this wheel either.

I guess I can attach all the diskusage-* files to the buildlog by
cating them at the end. Not as easy to look through but I can write a
small script to fetch the last buildlog and present the information
nicely.

But then what do I put into the deb? Just changelog and copyright?
The main purpose of the buildlog package will be to trigger the build
of images and add them to the changes file (if the ftpmaster agrees).

If the debian-cd maintainer wants a debian-installer-bootimages.deb
instead of fetching the images from net or a mirror that package can
take over image generation.

Point is that we need one dummy (u)deb to trigger the build at the
moment and just throwing the build log and status files together
seemed to be the least work wasted.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: You've got your time, tell me when you had a look.