Re: Templates and all user intraction strings consistency

Simon Hürlimann <simon.huerlimann@access.unizh.ch> writes:

> Am Freitag, 17. Oktober 2003 19.30 schrieb Joey Hess:
> > I think we need to agree on such stupid stylistic matters as one space
> > or two at the end of a sentence. I have my preferences, but making it
> > consistent is more important.
> +1 for one!

American/english has 2 spaces between sentences, German only one.
Afaik.

I'm all for one space though, ignoring this old custom of double
spacing. We have monospaced fonts so spaces are comparatively big and
space is quite rare.

> > We should agree on a voice for the installer to use. Some questions use
> > "I will do this", some use "Do you want to do this". I prefer to not
> > anthromorphise computer programs, and avoid the "I".
> Computers shouldn't use the term "I" (yet). If the computer wants to tell us
> what he does, he should use a term like "Downloading something" instead of
> "I'm downloading something". If he wants us to make a decission, he should
> ask us what we want to do. So we should use "Do you want to do this?".

Some people might get scared by their all powerfull computers. "I will
format your harddrive.", "I will delete your downloads.", "I will kill
anna" :)

But your right.

> Error and failure messages should also be unified. Some of them contain an
> error number/return code, some talk about aborting. Terms like 'exited with
> return code XX' don't help the user.

Some errors are red, some are blue. Meaning some are not yet ported
to the error widget with its red background.

> I would propose that an error/failure should show an info template like:
>  Something went wrong while downloading ${MODULE}. This means, that this
>  package can't be installed and used.
>
>  You should check you CD-ROM or Network connection and...
>
> The short description should be exactly that, a short description of the
> failure, followed by a exclamation point. The long part should describe the
> consequences of the failure and possible work-arounds.
>
> This error template should be shown with a high priority, or whatever
> apropriate. After that there could be another template, containing more
> information like return values, escpecialy helpfull for debugging. This
> template should have a lower priority, so that it is only seen by persons who
> have a deeper knowledge about debian.

A <more> button like windows has (except its completly useless there)?

> Just my 2c
>
> Simon

MfG
        Goswin