Re: reiser support in debian-installer

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 15:00, Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader
wrote:
> I talked to Hans Reiser at LinuxTag and he was very interested in
> seeing proper reiserfs support integrated in debian-installer.  I
> briefly talked to Alastair McKinstry at debconf about this but he
> wasn't aware of much work that has been done on this yet.  He said the
> first step would be to generate some udebs.  I'm CCing some people who
> have been working on reiserfs support in Debian, perhaps you are
> interested in looking into this?
>
> BTW, Hans has offered technical assistance if we need any.  In
> addition to reiserfs support when installing he'd also like to see
> reiserfs support in a rescue CD so you can repair a corrupted FS.

As described by Martin Sjogren at debcamp, the following is needed:
(1) a reiserfs kernel module, in its own udeb. Submit a patch to
Herbert Xu to do this; its straightforward, as the module udebs are just
repackaged from the current kernel ; examples in the package.

(2) A reiserfsprogs udeb, (built from the reiserfsprogs package, I
presume) that provides /sbin/mkfs.reiserfs. (I know that the reiserfs
version is actually called mkreiserfs, but the name is important)
This shoulde then depend on (1).

Once these exist, the existing fs creation code will spot the reiserfs
option and add it to the list. Simple.

leader@debian.org
--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine