Re: Debian network installation on IBM RS/6000 44P-170 (POWER3) - HOWTO

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:31:47PM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
> >
> > I would have saved a few key strokes during the install if I had modified
> > the config file to enable serial port console.
> > It appears that it is enabled in the config file:
> > ~snip
> > #
> > # Character devices
> > #
> > CONFIG_VT=y
> > CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL=y
> > CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
> > ~snip
> >
> > However, I must have missed something because it was definitely not
> > enabled.
>
> Have you used the PPC kernel patch?  There is an added functionality
> that allows setting command-line arguments to the kernel, inluding
> "root=/dev/sda3 console=ttyS0,9600" (which I've found necessary installing
> on a 43P 140 using the serial console).

No. I will have to try that.

> > Second, while booting the zImage.initrd image, the target system would
> > always hang before loading the whole file. It turns out one has to issue
> > the following command on the server:
> > $ arp -s target_ip target_hw_addr
> >
> > I do not fully understand why; however, it is all documented here:
> > http://penguinppc.org/~hollis/linux/rs6k-netboot.shtml
>
> Yes, ran into that when I was testing the Sun tftp images for Potato.
>
> > This is where you normally would select the following option in the
> > installer:
> > - Install Kernel and Driver Modules
> >
> > However, since I know that the FTP/HTTP method will fail, I am going to
> the
> > shell instead.
> > In boot-floppies, I select:
> > - Execute a Shell
>
> I'm curious.  Why/how does the FTP/HTTP method fail?  I've used it
> repeatedly installing on my 43P 140.

If I try to install via HTTP/FTP it will successfully download
rescue.bin and drivers.tgz; however I get the following error messages:
"Unable to mount the Rescue Floppy."
"The attempt to extract Rescue Floppy failed."
"Installation of the file '/tmp/rescue.bin' failed."

Furthermore, I wonder, why is the rescue image downloaded? Should it not be the uncompressed kernel vmlinux?

> > Install Base
> > ============
> >
> > While still at the shell in the '/target' directory issue:
> >
> > # wget
> >
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/base-images-cur
> rent/basedebs.tar
>
> Again, I use the boot-floppies FTP/HTTP method without any problems at
> all.  Is this CHRP specific?

That could be, because the 43P-140 is officially a PREP machine (even thought the kernel developers tell
me that it is more like a PREP/CHRP hybrid).
I assume that you got the images from the PREP, and not CHRP install directories?

> > In boot-floppies, select the following option:
> > - Install the Base System
> >
> > I would have chosen: 'network: HTTP or FTP over the network'
> >
> > However, since this feature also is broken, I chose: 'mounted: already
> > mounted filesystem'
>
> You know :)
>
> > Make System Bootable
> > ====================
> >
> > The following option in boot-floppies does not work:
> > - Make System Bootable
> >
> > However, if I go to the shell and execute any of the following commands I
> > am still not able to make the system bootable:
> > # yabootconfig - with various parameters I know should work
> > # ybin - with various parameters I know should work
> > # dd if=/target/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot of=/dev/sda1
> >
> > It appears that 'yaboot' on the initrd image is broken. What options do I
> > have left?
>
> Ok, is it actually necessary to "Make System Bootable" at this point?
> System Management Services (the firmware) handles the boot-sequence on
> this platform.  All it requires is that the boot-device be in the
> bootlist, and that there is a Type 41 partition on the boot-device.  The
> firmware will attempt to load whatever it finds on that partition.  Ah,
> I think I see...  I download the kernel image as you did, but then 'dd
> if=/target/boot/vmlinux of=/dev/sda1'.  AFAICT, yaboot is totally
> unnecessary on IBM RISC systems, the firmware handles everything.

You are right. Yaboot is not required. The system will boot from the first PReP 41 partition it detects.
However, yaboot is nice if you have multiple linux images installed (which I did, but did not tell you in the HOWTO ;-) )

I guess you issued commands similar to what I have below, to indicate where the root partition is located.
I assume you did not specify the boot device in the SMS menu system, because there would be now way indicate
where the root partition is located.

To once boot from disk, issue the following command in Open Firmware:
0> boot scsi/sd@X root=/dev/sda3

To permanently boot from disk,  issue the following command in Open Firmware:
0> setenv auto-boot true
0> setenv boot-device scsi/sd@X
0> setenv boot-file root=/dev/sda3
0> setenv boot-command boot
0> reset-all

X             ==> SCSI ID
root partiton ==> /dev/sda3

How would the
> > BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ENTERING VALUES LIKE ROOT PASSWORD!
> >
> > The reason for this is that the screen emulation is not working correctly
> > with these menus (at least not for me and my vt102 terminal). Make sure
> > press the backspace/delete button a few times in each field. Otherwise,
> you
> > will get to the login prompt but not be able to log in, because the root
> > password will not be what you typed in.
>
> Haven't seen this, but I'm using a serial-to-serial connection with
> another computer and a terminal-emulator.
>
> Thank you very much for this, and I'd love to see it at a URL and
> actively maintained.

Actively, but only till the next release of Debian. This information should really be part of the official
installation document.

> Regards,
> Steve

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
pSeries System Engineering & Integration, IBM Enterprise Systems Group