Re: Panic, I'm trying to make my own bootdisks

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 08:29:17PM +0100, Adrian Cotfas wrote:
> I want to make my own bootdisks.
> I need to start linux from bootdisks with partitionimage and network suport.
> Partitionimage is a client/server program that restores your harddisk from an image.
>
> I have read the manual (bootdisk-howto) several times.
>
> When I boot up from the bootdisks I made everything looks normal
> But when I try to login with a username the system dont asks for my password and
> insted I get a new login prompt.
>
> I suspekt its a PAM configurations problem on my rootdisk.
> I am stuck Please help me
> I am panicing I have workt on this bootdisks for 3 days.

 - you want to make a two-disk set: a boot disk with kernel on it and a
   root disk, containing a very basic system, which only needs to
   contain the tool "partitionimage" and needs to have network support,
   right?

 - you try to make the disks, but there is a problem with 'login'
   started from the root disk, in that it won't let you log in, right?

 - if so, then why at all do you want things like login or PAM on the
   root disk??? Why not just loopback-mount the standard debian root
   disk and copy "partitionimage" onto it, and replace the linux kernel
   on the rescue disk with one that has the drivers for your NIC (if the
   standard one doesn't)? I think that would be the most straightforward
   way, since manual disk creation is a bit tricky, considering all the
   library dependancies etc...

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216