Re: dhcp-client

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:05:47PM +0100, Richard Hirst wrote:
> I'm working on boot-floppies for hppa.  I do an install, tell it I
> don't want to use dhcp, and enter the static IP address details.
>
> When I reboot the system starts up dhcp-client anyway, and
> /etc/init.d/networking isn't run at all.  eth0 is up, lo is not.
> To sort things out I have to --purge dhcp-client, dpkg-reconfigure netbase,
> and add 'auto lo', 'auto eth0' to /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> When I tried a dhcp configured install a few days ago the system
> didn't run dhcp-client on reboot.

I can't be sure without more information, but my guess is that
this was broken in the switch from pump to dhclient.  pump does
not provide an /etc/init.d/ script, but relies instead on ifup to
invoke it.  dhclient provides such a script, which unconditionally
start its.  For testing, you should probably remove this script
and the links to it before rebooting and see if that fixes your
problem.

If this is the case, let me know and I (or you) can file an
important bug against dhcp-client to have this init.d script
removed.

Matt