Re: boot-floppies help

James D Strandboge wrote:
> I was reading on debianplanet that the release of woody is being held up
> because the boot-floppies package is not going along as quickly as
> hoped.  What exactly needs to be done?  Perhaps I can help.  I have been
> using linux for approx 4 years and debian the last 1 1/2.  I would like
> to contribute to debian in some way, so maybe this would be a good way.
>
> Even if you just want to point me in the right direction, that is fine.
> I won't need hand holding if there is documentation out there for what
> needs to be done, what has currently been done, etc.  :-)

Please read the following.

Once you have checked out boot-floppies, there's a todo file
and there's also http://bugs.debian.org/boot-floppies
as well as an archive of this list http://lists.debian.org/#debian-boot

hth 	Joey

CVS and boot-floppies Sources
=============================

You can access the boot-floppies using CVS; this is particularly
useful if you are actively working on the package.

CVS comes with excellent documentation; in particular, see the `cvs'
info pages, and "Open Source Development with CVS", a GPL book freely
available online, at <URL:http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/>.  (There is a
Debian package of it, called "cvsbook".)

There are various ways to access the CVS repository for boot-floppies,
depending on your circumstances.  However, once you've set up your
CVSROOT variable properly, all the access methods behave almost much
identically.

There is a web interface for CVS, which is great for browsing the commit
logs, pulling diffs from the repository, and getting a good look at
the layout of the module.  It can be accessed via:
<URL:http://cvs.debian.org/>.

* Getting the boot-floppies source via CVS

This version of the sources is for Debian 2.2, aka Potato.

The following are POSIX bourne shell commands you can run to get the
CVS area; other shell users should be able to translate to their shell
language easily.  Commands with a `#' are comments; you don't have to
type those.

   # If you are logged into to cvs.debian.org (CNAME va.debian.org):
   export CVSROOT=/cvs/debian-boot

   # If you are using `ssh' to access the area, and you have an
   # account on cvs.debian.org -- this is the recommended method:
   export CVS_RSH=ssh
   export CVSROOT=:ext:<MY-USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot

   # If you are using anonymous (readonly) access:
   export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
   cvs login
   # You will be prompted for a password -- just hit `Enter'.

   # If you are using a pserver account (i.e., you need write access
   # but do not have a login account, and you have been given a
   # pserver username and password):
   export CVSROOT=:pserver:<USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
   cvs login
   # Enter the password you have been given.

After that, all techniques are the same.  Simply check out the
sources.  For the lastest Potato version, do:

   cvs co -r potato boot-floppies

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.