Re: ppp install for woody

Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 10:38:41PM -0700 wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 06:12:43PM -0700, David Whedon wrote:
> > Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:58:17PM -0700 Matt Kraai wrote:
> > > I'd like to have ppp available as soon as possible.  Installing
> > > on any system with a modem with only three disks and a phone
> > > number is quite appealing to me.
> >
> > I agree, and we can't do that now.  This will involve including the appropriate
> > parts of ppp, plus the module on the root filesystem.  I think this is around 30
> > k compressed, based on some work I did related to this for debian-installer.
>
> What needs to be done?
> Is there enough space on the root disk
> that it can be included there?

Looks to me like root.bin is about 1.2M , and we're full around 1.4M, so there
is some space remaining, I think it will fit.  I figure it would be good to put
it on root.bin so even drivers.tgz could be pulled off the net.  Do we want to
make this optional?  If we are pushing anything off the disk to make it fit
(what would we push off? I don't know.), then probably.

>  If so, is it just a matter of
> hooking pppconfig into dbootstrap at the appropriate place?

I think so, except pppconfig is written in perl.  We're going to want the same
sort of thing for debian-installer too, only difference will be the user
interface.  If we abstract out the UI well, or at least keep that in mind, then
we'll be able to reuse for debian-installer, that would be a bonus.

I still haven't gotten a system to install completely, debootstrap problems, or
something.  I'm going to work on that first.

-David