Re: common udpkg and uapt-get functionality

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 03:39:23PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Not as easy as it should be, i thought another goal was going to be
> elimination of base.tar.gz, but we arent allowed to use normal debs to
> build the base,

I thought this too, but it's wrong. base.tgz is made up from real debs,
.udebs are simply an easier way to make the boot-floppies themselves work.

There'll be, one assumes, an "install-base-tgz.udeb" which will grab a
base.tgz from somewhere and unpack it into /target.

I'm toying with an "install-base-deb.udeb" which will instead grab some
Packages.gz files, and carefully unpack and configure the appropriate
essential/required and base .debs, using just the tools that'll eventually
be available as udebs.

But udebs and base.tgz are addressing separate issues.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''
                       -- linux.conf.au, 17-20 January 2001