Re: #72327: boot-floppies: doesn't install .bash_logout for root (fwd)

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > Indeed, this changed, and that's not good. Why was this gratuitous change
> > > made?
> >
> > /root has always been 755.
>
> I haven't seen any of those. All slink installs had it 700, which I
> considered to be a sane default.
>
> Anyway, history doesn't really matter with these kind of security issues --
> sendmail had loads and loads of root exploits during the last decade, it
> doesn't mean it should have them today.

Your comparison is not fair. I repeat that this is not a security
issue, just a *privacy* issue.

> > Some time ago I asked about this and 755 was considered to be good enough
> > for /root, see the archives.
>
> Which list?

I can't remember exactly. There is a small thread in debian-testing,
in February (Subject: potato /root permissions?), but I did not posted
anything then.

We can start a new thread in debian-devel if you like.