Re: Next attempt to add Blends to Debian installer

Hi Holger,

Well done for deciding to put your shoulder to this old rock, I think we've
got a pretty good chance of getting to the top of the mountain this time :-)

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> writes:

> I did some testing in d-i, however that's tricky:
> testing is problematic as long as the new blendsel package is not in the
> archive, and the same with the changed pkgsel.
> So I had to "live-patch" the d-i for testing of blendsel, and therefore
> I cannot provide a working test image or the like (or I don't know how).

It is possible to persuade salsa-CI to do this.

In order to do that, I've cloned your blendsel & pkgsel repos, and
tweaked them slightly:

  https://salsa.debian.org/philh/pkgsel/-/tree/blendsel?ref_type=heads
  https://salsa.debian.org/philh/blendsel/-/tree/blendsel?ref_type=heads

The main trick is to set BRANCH2REPO_EXTRA_PROJECTS so that the other
package gets included in the aptly repo in the pipeline, so that the
resulting mini-ISO gets to show off all the changes in both packages.

BTW I also had to tweak pkgsel's postinst to ensure that blendsel gets
installed (this is mostly required because an `apt update` is required
to make the salsa aptly repo visible in the target, so should not end up
in a release).

Having done that, one gets a mini-ISO, such as this:

  https://salsa.debian.org/philh/pkgsel/-/jobs/5713711/artifacts/file/debian/output/debian-202306XX+salsaci+20240511+6-amd64-gtkmini.iso

which when tested on openQA looks like this:

  https://openqa.debian.net/tests/260723

So I guess I'll need to write a new test to match that next :-)

BTW there's nothing to stop one creating new task packages, and adding
them to BRANCH2REPO_EXTRA_PROJECTS, so you don't need to wait for them
to be released to test them.

I think that should work for your user on salsa too, if you pull those
changes into your repos, and set the CI config to `debian/salsa-ci.yml`
in both repos. If not, just say and we can work out what's missing.

HTH

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. Please don't stress about whether you qualify as a DD. Imposter
Syndrome is a healthy sign of humility IMO. I'd hope that most of us
feel like imposters at least some of the time, because the alternative
is not godlike competence but rather the Dunning–Kruger effect.
--
Philip Hands -- https://hands.com/~phil