Re: Is there such a thing as a Debian blend for a MacBook Air 1,1 and/or Mac boxes in general? ...

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 2:41 PM Albretch Mueller wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a Debian blend for a MacBook Air 1,1 and/or Mac boxes in general?

In general, Debian blends are not needed for hardware support, because
the same hardware support is available in every Debian install. So
either the hardware is supported, it is supported with non-free
firmware/drivers or it isn't supported at all. Also, questions about
installing/using Debian should be solved using the Debian wiki or
Debian user support channels.

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple
https://www.debian.org/support

>  and all seems to be fine and dandy, except for the wireless network
> card. This is what dmidecode and hwinfo tell me about it:

WiFi devices often need non-free firmware (or sometimes drivers), I
assume this is what is happening.

Since you are using a live image, I suggest downloading the variant of
that including non-free firmware:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

Please note that these do not include non-free drivers, so you will
need to install to disk and then read the wiki pages linked below.

> Device: pci 0x4328 "BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n"

These two wiki pages mention this device, hopefully they will be helpful.

https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
https://wiki.debian.org/wl

--
bye,