Re: FreedomBox tasks and metapackage

Hi Sunil,

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 10:27:38PM -0700, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
> FreedomBox has been a Debian Pure Blend for quite sometime now with all
> necessary bits present in the Debian repositories. However, it has not
> been using the blends framework. I believe it would be good to start
> using the blends framework.

This sounds very good to me (I mean both that FreedomBox has developed
nicely as well as you consider using the Blends framework).

> There two main reasons I see for do this:
>
> - FreedomBox can join other blends in getting listed in the Debian
> Installer whenever that happens. This would increase the ease of
> installation for users installing FreedomBox after installing Debian. It
> would also provide more exposure to the project.
>
> - The task and bug pages that all blends have will help FreedomBox focus
> better on new packaging tasks and identifying areas of contribution with
> existing packages. Currently, we only have a wiki page[1] that is
> slightly less static.

BTW, since the Debian Med hackathon I'm also working on a QA page
covering testing migrations, autokpgtest results etc.  If I would only
have more time to finish this ...

> The core packages needed by FreedomBox are already dependencies of the
> 'freedombox' package. Additional apps are selected by the user from the
> FreedomBox web interface. Despite this difference compared to other
> blends, the above reasons seem good enough to start using the blends
> framework.
>
> I have started creating the blends metapackage[2]. This git repository
> can be hosted by the FreedomBox project and shared with the blends team
> (or vice versa).

Most blends that are using the documented[3] Blends framework are
located by the Debian Blends Team[4].  I just made you a member in case
you might like to move your code there.  Its not a requirement to have
the code there.  It has pros and cons.  While it is sometimes handsome
to do global changes for all Blends (which is very rare but happens) to
have them all on one place it has turned out a hurdle for contributors
to ask for permissions to this project to work on the tasks.

I've checked out your code and *just* *from* *locking* it looks good.
May be you might like to add more tasks if this is sensible.  Once you
might have decided for a final location of your repository I would
volunteer to integrate it into the web sentinel (which you have
permissions now but I have some routine and would be happy to do for
you).

> I am looking for feedback and suggestions.

I'm really happy to see another Blend adopting the framework.

[3] https://blends.debian.org/blends/
[4] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team