Re: FreedomBox tasks and metapackage

On 08/10/20 6:41 am, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
> BTW, since the Debian Med hackathon I'm also working on a QA page
> covering testing migrations, autokpgtest results etc.  If I would
> only have more time to finish this ...

I will try to lend a hand. Is the code available somewhere?

>> The core packages needed by FreedomBox are already dependencies of
>> the 'freedombox' package. Additional apps are selected by the user
>> from the FreedomBox web interface. Despite this difference compared
>> to other blends, the above reasons seem good enough to start using
>> the blends framework.
>>
>> I have started creating the blends metapackage[2]. This git
>> repository can be hosted by the FreedomBox project and shared with
>> the blends team (or vice versa).
>
> Most blends that are using the documented[3] Blends framework are
> located by the Debian Blends Team[4].  I just made you a member in
> case you might like to move your code there.  Its not a requirement
> to have the code there.  It has pros and cons.  While it is sometimes
> handsome to do global changes for all Blends (which is very rare but
> happens) to have them all on one place it has turned out a hurdle for
> contributors to ask for permissions to this project to work on the
> tasks.

Thank you for adding me to the team. Global changes to all blends sounds
important. So, I have moved the repository under the Blends Team at
blends-team/fbx and made it similar to other blends.

> I've checked out your code and *just* *from* *locking* it looks
> good. May be you might like to add more tasks if this is sensible.

I kept a single task because many FreedomBox applications are not usable
after installation even with some post install configuration. They need
to be setup with domain names, TLS certificates, etc. This job is taken
care by the FreedomBox web interface based on the current system
configuration. Further, applications run all the time and take up
resources. A typical previous generation single board computer can only
run half a dozen application at a time.

So, FreedomBox still has to be the discovery point for all the
applications for users who then explicitly choose to install each app.
Inside tasksel, a single unambiguous choice has to show up for the user
to install the primary web interface itself. Eventually, we can explore
better organization into multiple tasks for the sake of task/bug pages
as long as user concerns are met.

> Once you might have decided for a final location of your repository I
> would volunteer to integrate it into the web sentinel (which you
> have permissions now but I have some routine and would be happy to do
> for you).

Awesome! Thanks for offering to update the web sentinel. I will stand by
and help were I can.

--
Sunil