Re: Reorganisation of www.debian.org: Please provide information about your Blend

Hi Thomas, Andreas and the Multimedia Team,

As far as I am concerned the Debian Multimedia Blend is still active,
although I have got a long way behind in maintaining the task lists for
the website, and uploading the metapackages.

At the moment the blends page links to our wiki which is easy for the
team to keep updated. I would be happy to have a standard & pretty
landing page as long as it is easy to maintain. But my work life will
probably not allow me to devote too much time to this.

Lots of snipping below:

On 7/22/19 3:48 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Blends developers
>
> today I sat together with some people who intend to update Debian web
> pages.  On one hand they care about design they also care about content
> and structure of content.  The structure should be unified and the
> content should be updated by not only provide up to date information but
> also by deleting stuff that is irrelevant.

> To find out what Blend should be considered as active I proposed to
> write this e-mail to the main communication channel and ask the
> developers of the Blend to confirm they consider themselves an active
> Blend and will provide more content about that Blend to the web team if
> requested to do so.

>     http://www.debian.org/blends     [1]

> So please every Blend team that wants to be listed on [1]
> in future please write an e-mail to
>
>     Thomas Lange <lange@debian.org>
>
> confirming that this Blend is active and wants to be represented
> on the official Debian Web site.  We actually want to unify the
> presentation of Blends and you should name a default entry page
> for your Blend.  Currently we have some very positive examples
> like

> ones and those who simply maintain just a Wiki page.  Once you confirmed
> that your Blend is active you should probably start working on this -
> possibly by discussing some common standard for the Blends entry page on
> the general Blends list (debian-blends@lists.debian.org)

This is mainly addressed to the Multimedia Team:

At the moment the task lists contain a long list of **all** multimedia
applications in a given category. Whilst great for discovering useful
applications on the website, and for discovering applications that need
packaging, this makes the multimedia metapackages very impractical for
real installation, and has given concerns for people managing
transitions (even though there are never any hard "Depends:").

It would be nice if a new landing page was structured in terms of some
typical use cases (e.g. music recording, video editing, photo
processing), and we created some new tasks/metapackages that were
recommended subsets for a particular use case.

Maybe we could debate this within the team in a new thread?

Regards,

Ross