Re: New feature for 0.6.103

Hi Ole,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 08:42:42AM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> > I admit I would love to re-use it for tasks_diff - so if you could find
> > some temporary solution how I could somehow cleanly get Deb822List that
> > would help but it should be no real blocker.
>
> Deb822List is a special thing, since it should IMO not go to a
> (debian.)blends package, but to debian.deb822. What prevents me from
> writing a Merge Request on salsa is that the constructor should either
> take a (unicode resp. normal) string, a file-like object, or a list of
> deb822.Deb822 or dicts to be a universal class.
>
> For the moment, I would recommend just to cut&paste Deb822List from
> blends-gen-control.

OK, fine for me.

> However, tasks_diff may also benefit from a blends
> Python package, and it could make the handling much easier (no json), as
> if the blends package is in git with a standard tagging:
>
> * git worktree could check out the latest debian/<version> tag to some
>   temporary dir
>
> * one can create a blends.Blend object from that dir
>
> * one can create a blends.Blend object from the actual dir
>
> * compare them, write out, and you are done.

That's surely an option for the changelog creation.  But the json files
also enable creating statistics[1] using this script[2].  Its just a
hack and not documented (if I only had the time to do this) but just
parsing a set of json files is probably way more sensible than to do
your algorithm over and over again for all available tags.

> If you like, I could try that as next step; then I would however just
> create a "python3-blends" package (to not interfer with the
> python3-debian package).

May be a python3-blends package assembling (and documenting!) that kind
of tools (and put them on a solid technical base rather than hackish
scripts) would make sense.  But I think, sticking to the approach to
store the dependency data in some sensible way (not necessarily inside
the source package) is reasonable if you want to look quickly at
historic data.

[1] https://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20180210_debian-med-sprint/sprints+mentoring.pdf#page=11
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/blob/master/misc/team_analysis_tools/count-dependencies.py