Re: Reaching Richard (Was: Towards a Debian for minimalists)

Quoting Harsha Godavari (2016-07-15 03:18:27)
> The following news item from Distrowatch Weekly issue 660. 9 May 2016,
> together with with news items about various distros dropping support
> for 32 bit systems, seems to have gotten mixed up in my mind.

Fair enough.

> However 586 class computers are still in use and perfectly usable for
> a fair number of people.

Possibly, but they will need to use a different distribution than
Debian.

> Changes are happening in Debian's development branches which will make
> older versions of the 32-bit architecture obsolete.

Those changes already happened some time ago.

> In case you missed that change,

I didn't.  I am fully aware of that change.

> Older Computers are being made un-usable

No, volunteers work on things they find interest in - and older things
are less likely to gain enough traction.

Older hardware continue to run for eternity, with old Debian releases.

If you want older hardware to work also with newer releases of Debian,
you need to invest in that, because evidently others have lost interest.
Your investment can either be with time (learn how to code and fix new
code to compile properly on the hardware you care about) or with money
(pay others to do it for you).

> Linux distros are getting bigger and bigger (bloated?) making it more
> difficult to download an iso .

Then stop downloading ISOs - as I already wrote in my last response!

> I would also guess that more than 50% of the users, of any distro , do
> not use all (or most) of the bells and whistles provided with the
> distro .

I guess so as well.  Personally I only use the parts that I find, well,
useful - which in my personal view excluded any "bells and whistles".

Noone forces you to use free software that you consider irrelevant!

> Perhaps you could tell us about the types of hardware you saw being
> used in India/Nepal. I am wondering about the ordinary people, not the
> wealthy.

Sorry, I lost you: How is all this related to Debian blends?

 - Jonas