Re: [GSoC] Profiling SQL query (Was: [GSoC] Reg Blends Web Sentinel)

Hi

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Akshita,

I think your hint was of great help!  Droping the GROUP BY increased the
speed by an order of magnitude.  I also droped the other similarly
redundant GROUP BY (see my last commit).  This has caused a drastical
performance kick. if you compare the old result:

I had noticed the redundant GROUP BY in the two sub-queries too. I removed them, and ran the query and noticed that there was a vast improvement in the performance. I was just waiting for your confirmation about GROUP BY.. before concluding anything. Nevertheless, I am glad, I proved to be of some help.

I think this would be also acceptable to run on production UDD.
However, I wonder whether you could do some further review after this
issue should be clarified.  Perhaps we get another factor 2 or 4 for
speeding up to make sure we will not uselessly stress test Debian
hardware.

I am working on speeding up the query. Will update you on it soon.

In summary: Thanks a lot for your help to
  a) Get bugs_udd working at all
  b) Speed it up to some acceptable state.
That's really welcome since my time capacity is to hard occupied
by other things and I have obviously not given enough love to these
tools.

Thanks a lot for your guidance on this. I really find working on this project very learning and enriching.

Another hint: In the dir misc/sql/ in the Git repository I have stored
some test queries.  The script bugs.sh (or
bugs_including_metapackage_bugs.sh - I do not remember properly) was
used as template to test the queries quickly.  If you want to use these
feel free to change these scripts - they have no other purpose than
testing.  Make sure you check whether they are in sync with bugs_udd
first!

I'll definitely look into this.

Thanks again,
Akshita Jha