Re: How to best collaborate with games and junior tasks

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:28:34PM +0200, Per Andersson wrote:

> Is there any tasks that could be finished? Any work in progress somewhere?

In

   ssh://git.debian.org/git/blends/website.git

you find the script webtools/bugs_udd.py which is a replacement for bugs.py
works for Debian Med as it can be seen here:

   http://blends.debian.org/med/bugs_udd/

but fails for instance for Debian Games in some cases.  For instance

   http://blends.debian.org/games/bugs_udd/puzzle.html

is rendered (as well as all the single pages but the main index

   http://blends.debian.org/games/bugs_udd/index.html

has only zero bytes.  As far as I can see Debian Games is the only Blend
where this happens and as always also here an encoding issue is causing
the problem:

blends@dillon:/srv/blends.debian.org/webtools$ ./bugs_udd.py debian-games
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./bugs_udd.py", line 476, in <module>
    main()
  File "./bugs_udd.py", line 471, in main
    print >> f, template.generate(**data).render('xhtml')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/genshi/core.py", line 183, in render
    return encode(generator, method=method, encoding=encoding, out=out)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/genshi/output.py", line 57, in encode
    return _encode(''.join(list(iterator)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/genshi/output.py", line 339, in __call__
    for kind, data, pos in stream:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/genshi/output.py", line 670, in __call__
    for kind, data, pos in stream:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/genshi/output.py", line 783, in __call__
    text = escape(pop_text(), quotes=False)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 188: ordinal not in range(128)

I admit I have no idea what string this might be and using the template
system genshi somehow hides the string in question from the first look.

The problem is that on my development machines at home where I'm using
testing instead of stable (on blends.debian.{org,net}) even more
encoding problems are occuring with the very same code and I'm not even
at the point above.  I admit I'm at a "hobby coder" level in Python and
that several encoding problems are driving me crazy since I'm working on
the web sentinel.  I've heard that Python3 should be more robust /
strict on this and may be it might help to convert the code into Python3
which would be fine for me.

Regarding the relation of bugs.py and bugs_udd.py:  I switched of
bugs.py which while creating valid pages is hammering UDD really hard
since it is inefficently creating a lot of UDD queries.  It also reads
the tasks files directly which became superflous since we have all data
in UDD.  So bugs_udd.py should replace bugs.py.

Once this is done we should start with a tasks_udd.py also using UDD
exclusively and finally replacing tasks.py (which also is accessing the
tasks files).  Here some more data needs to be feed into UDD (which
would be easy enough) and we need to rework the trigger mechanism which
enforces the recreation of the tasks pages once a task file was commited
to VCS.  I also have some more ideas how the tasks pages could be
enhanced.

So far for a short todo list from my side.

Any help on any item of this would be welcome