Re: Do tools &/or instructions exist?

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Hi Richard,

[Cc added - please tell if subscribed and that is unneeded]

I'm subscribed to the list, CC not required.

Your reply reply rattled my cage a little (generally a good thing ;). I'll redo my post, hopefully clarifying things.

I'm moving FROM MS Windows.
A Linux variant is reasonable route if I don't wish to rewrite the world. Debian has specific packages I need, a broad selection of packages that I don't yet need, a selection of tools to fill the gaps, and a large active user base.

Debian, due to its heritage, suffers from one major problem - it tries to be *all* things to *all* people *all* of the time. I want a *PERSONAL* computer, in the sense common in the 60's/70's. It might be compared to an idealized case of ADHD - it can/will work on anything (switching tasks quickly) but it is hyper-focused, working only on current task.

The unique feature of the class of systems of interest - they do *NOT* have any networking capability, be it LAN or internet or other.

There appear to be 3 relevant lists I might post to:
Embedian - but you note that the blends group sees that as a blend. The attraction
             for me is associating embedding with very small.
Installer - I see my goal being heavily focused on installation tools/instructions. The group seems focused on moving towards one tool fits all. PureBlends - seems oriented towards tools for small identifiable groups.

I have some idea on how to accomplish. But your reply got me rethinking some of my bookmarked links. Think my next step is converting links to an annotated bibliography.