Re: blends-dev, gsoc 2013

[Answering a private mail on list because I've got confirmation to do so]

Hi Emmanouil,

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 06:05:20PM +0300, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> I am very excited that I got accepted for gsoc 2013 and having you as my
> mentor.

:-)

> Now is the bonding period thus its time for more documentation and
> get to know each other better. I have some questions I would like to ask
> you. Like you mentioned in some previous discussions we had, the best
> source of information is currently http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/
> <http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/>
>
> I will go through it again and also I will go through the existing code of
> blends-dev in more details this time, and in case i encounter any
> problem/questions I will ask you.

Feel free to discuss any question on the list.

> I already set up a local UDD instance in my computer to start playing
> around with some queries.

Fine!

> Also I can assume that for versioning I am going
> to use git.

Yes.  Feel free to decide whether you want to start from scratch with a
say blends-gsoc repository or simply use a branch in the existing blends
repository.  A word of warning:  Please consider myself as a Git
beginner.  It might happen that I will relay on asking you about help in
Git details.

> Do you suggest any other sources for me to check? Any other sources that
> will provide a more solid understanding of how thing are working, if not I
> will search around debian sources to find more info on task files etc

IMHO everything you currently need to study is

   git://git.debian.org/git/blends/blends.git

(which also contains the source of the doc at the URL above).

> (also
> it is a very good opportunity for me now to study about the debtags).

Yes.  I would love if you could add some method to merge in DebTags into
Blends techniques.  DebTags are in UDD as well.  BTW, to help solving bug
#703402 I just wrote an importer for Blends metadata.  The easiest way to
learn about those tables would probably be to

  $ psql udd
  udd=# \d blends_<tab>

You should get four tables where blends_prospectivepackages is quite
irrelevant for the GSoC task because this are package that are not (yet)
inside Debian and thus do not belong into the Recommends.  The other
tables are relevant metadata (which might need to be enhanced in the
GSoC project).

> How do you prefer to communicate during the program? We can talk through
> skype,

No way.  I will install only software where I have the source for.
Sorry, if this sounds to harsh / stubborn - but we have other ways of
communication.

> irc,

I'm rarely doing IRC but it is fine for me outside work hours if you
ping me in advance to fire up my IRC client.

> gtalk,

Fine for things that need to be sorted out quickly.

> debian mailing list etc.

This is my prefered way because it caries sustainable information that
is properly archived and available for everybody who might be
interested.

> Tell me what is more preferable
> to you (any of the previous choices is fine for me).
>
> Any questions, comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

No questions so far.  I personally would start by creating SQL queries
(functions if needed) to assemble the needed information.  Once this is
there it could be wrapped up in a Python script that writes the task
file.  Keep it simple for the first shot - we will enhance it later.