Re: Presentation + A debian-based for audio creation and production, stage technics and video blend (or "the future of TangoStudio")

On 11/12/2012 12:03 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
On 11/12/2012 11:53 AM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
Hi,

In my opinion you need

1) debian blend metapackages
Allows people to install packages for a certain task, like 'recording'
'mixing' etc.

2) A stable repo with backported packages from Debian testing/unstable

(2a) optional an custom repo with packages which are not allowed in
Debian.

3) A Guide for configuration

In your proposal you want to control too many things imo. Let people
choose themselves whether they want to use pulseaudio or not, whether
they want to use XFCE or Gnome etc.

* Make a Guide for configuration Debian for linuxaudio, WM independent.

Optional/ extra:
- Make a guide howto remove pulseaudio and use Debian without pulseaudio
- Make a guide howto optimize your favorite WM
- ...

Oh and Tango Studio had a package for adding (and/or rearranging) an
extra submenu for audiotools for Gnome 2.

Offering a ready to install installation image costs way too much time
imho.

Most multimedia distro are not sustainable. Besides the fact that maintaining an distro with an installation image by a single person is in most cases not realistic, they take far too much stuff on their shoulders mostly. For instance I don't see why a distro for audio production should also contain a full list of video stuff. I can understand that some video apps are nice to have, but better focus on audio if that's the main aim of your distro.

Also be brave enough to choose. You can't include *all* DAWs, MIDI seq etc. in the metapackages. A lot maintainers in the past didn't make clear choices and wanted to offer everything.

FYI Besides 64Studio, Tango Studio, AVLinux and KXstudio, you can also learn from one of the better onces, puredyne. AFAIk it's not continued atm. They worked with Debian Live cd build system and they have a whole script which allowed you to build a custom CD. (I think it's called broth)

https://code.launchpad.net/puredyne

But as said before I would focus on a Debian Blend approach with metapackages and a such as Reinhard suggests, plus some additional documentation and instructions probably.

\r