Build with custom configuration files?

Hi all,

I'm reading up about creating custom Debian blends, and there's some details I couldn't grok from the existing documentation.

I want to put together a particular set of packages, and for that the CDD/simple-cdd docs show the way.

However, I also want to include custom configuration and rc files for most of those packages, in order to provide themes and optimal settings out of the box. Ideally, those would be system-wide (placed on /usr/share), but I'm not sure how that might break updates.

What would be the recommended procedure for this specific case? Should I put together a post-install script that replaces the config files, or is there a more elegant solution? And is there a canonical way to handle this that I missed in the docs?

Thanks in advance,
:r