Re: Experiment to gather information about prospective packages (Was: [Blends-commit] r3275 - /blends/trunk/machine_readable/fetch-machine-readable)

Le Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:16:36AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> The only datum I currently want to draw from these files is the License
> field (short name!) from the "Files: *" section.

I see.  This works well for some packages, but in other cases, it can be
misleading, in particular because of the « viral » nature of the GPL .  Perhaps
you can mention document somewhere (in the « summary » section ?) that the
license information is for the main work of a package, and does not consider
the linkage to other libraries ?

> I get the Vcs-Data in the most direct way you might imagine:  I'm
> actually browsing the Vcs repositories of the Blends teams and thus I
> *know* the Vcs fields in advance.  My plan is to issue warnings about
> impropely set Vcs fields in the debian/control file rather than trusting
> them.

Would you be interested in having the debian/control files gathered with the
debian/upstream and debian/copyright files, or shall I rather focus on making
the gatherer more robust first  (such as detecting 404 errors, etc.).

> I admit I'd love to see more persons involved.

At that point, I think that even comments without intention to contribute time
or code would be welcome.  These comments will arise anyway when we will
present our work to a broader audience, so better reveiving them early.

Any comment ?

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy