Re: Additional fields in debian/upstream?

[Michael Hanke]
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to check with you on the policy of adding additional fields to
> debian/upstream. In my particular case I want to link source packages
> with entries in software ontologies and/or databases. Here is an example
> of the kind of information I'd like to store:
>
> Debian: http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/itksnap.html
> NeuroLex: http://neurolex.org/wiki/Category:Resource:ITK-SNAP
> NITRC: http://www.nitrc.org/projects/itk-snap/
>
> These URL all correspond to the same software. In debian/upstream I'd
> like to record something like:
>
> NITRC-ID: 110
> NeuroLex-ID: nif-0000-00317
>
> To be able to query both portals for more metadata, or to generate
> cross-ref links.

This sound like a similar goal of my proposal to add CPE information
to the Debian packages.  Check
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/CPEtagPackagesDep> for the current draft
of that proposal.

Perhaps we could come up with a common proposal that fulfill both
goals?

My initial idea was to put the information in the Packages file, to
allow it to be easily used on every Debian machine.  Perhaps it is a
better idea to put it ino debian/upstream?  Btw, you should remember
that some packages have multiple upstreams (for example packages with
external libraries included in the tarball).

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen