Re: BibTeX file from debian/upstream data (Was: New Debian Science metapackages)

Le Fri, May 04, 2012 at 02:13:55PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> From my perspective the way you are *refering* to a programm in a
> publication is perfectly different than citing a publication.  Please
> have a look at the examples Michael (mpqc, cp2k) or yesterday I checked
> for publications about Jmol (but failed) and detected a clear statement
> of the authors at their homepage[1] how they want people who use Jmol
> how they should cite it.

Reading the instructions on the Jmol page, it is clear to me that they want
that, when cited in an academic manuscript, their work appears as "Jmol: an
open-source Java viewer for chemical structures in 3D. http://www.jmol.org/"; in
the reference list.  Reference managers like Bibus or the proprietary EndNote
are able to follow this requirement, as they give a class to the reference
information (article, book, etc.).  In the case of Jmol, I think that this is
exactly the information that should be in the first reference recorded in
debian/upstream.  I have never thought that field differently.

If you want to record the class of the reference through the use of a different
field (Reference for books and articles, Cite-As for URLs), why not, but I
recommend to first check if the BibTeX format, which defines the sub-fields in
the Reference fied, is able to manage this directly.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microattribution for a broader point
of view on academic citations.

Cheers,

--