Re: Blend creation tool

On 06/23/2011 08:27 AM, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> I don't have a set of packages for Debian Automotive yet, or at least I'm not finished composing the package list. But I'd like to see some examples on how you use live-build to create a Debian Blend because I'd like to use that for Debian Automotive.

The examples section of the manual has one use case that might already
be considered a 'blend' installer example:

http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/live-manual.html#757

But now that I look at it, I think it's a bit buggy.

The --bootappend-live parameter passes kernel commandline parameters
that are used in the live system. In this case, when the system boots,
the live-config scripts use the locales and keyboard-layouts parameters
to generate the requested locales and set the keyboard layout. To ensure
the installer is preseeded with the same settings, I would add:

   --bootappend-install "locale=pt_BR.UTF-8"

According to the d-i doc, the keyboard layout should default to
something appropriate for the locale.

For further info, see:

http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/live-manual.html#493
http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/live-manual.html#566

Two separate options are offered for preseeding the debconf questions
asked at package install time when building the live system, and for
preseeding d-i itself. The debian-installer preseed.cfg file would
supercede any --bootappend-install preseed parameters, and is therefore
suitable where there are a number of these. The chroot preseed.cfg has
no equivalent in the example above. That would be used to ensure the
packages that are installed at live image build time are properly
configured. Since the live-installer uses the configured packages as its
source at install time, there would be no need to copy those preseed
configs into your d-i preseed.cfg as well.

So a complete blend example should draw all of these elements together,
either further expanding on the existing case, or else (and I think this
would probably be better because of the new topics introduced) adding a
new case that at least includes one chroot package preseed.

Can you (or anyone else here) give me some input I could use to craft
such an example?

Ben