Re: French translation of ???Debian Pure Blends???.

Le Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:50:57AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I'm strongly against "translating" a noun (in the same manner as I would
> not address Charles as "Karl" in a German text).  As far as all my
> language education reaches nouns just will not be translated and doing
> so in this specific case would IMHO add a language barrier to the
> understanding of the Blends concept.  I just had this discussion with
> German translators and we agreed to use "Debian Pure Blends" (in quotes)
> and you might perhaps add the assemblage as an explanation in () - but
> please stick to this term to enable cross language communication.
> Imagine a French speaking user who only knows your translation and is
> refering in English text to "assembly" as his reverse translation ...

Hi Andreas,

if ‘Blends’ is intended to be like a brand name, then indeed it does not need
to be translated. I am still of the opinion of translating "Debian Pure
Blends", for instance in « Blends pur Debian », in order to avoid grammar or
pronunciation problems.

For the reverse translation, there is no miracle. At written communication one
needs either a good dictionary (or translated websites), and at spoken
communication one needs learn from practice and figure out through discussion
circumventing the missing word. If a Blend would be called assemblage in
French, one can still refer to it as “the stuff used to make the meta-packages
that is used by Debian Med” for instance, then learn the word, and continue the
discussion.

Since « Blends pur Debian » gives the appropriate Google keyword to the French
reader, I think that it would be a good compromise.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,