Re: Could be considered a *Debian Blend* a CDD with packages from diferent repos

Hi Charles (and others),

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:46:12AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Wed, May 19, 2010 at 03:53:18PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

I would like to mention that even "unpure" Blends can work with the
metapackages builded in a Pure Blend: If the a package is not part
of official Debian the mentioned dependencies are added as Suggests
and afterwards installed via

  apt-get -o APT::Install-Suggests=true install foo

if backports is included in sources.list.  I would consider this as
a reasonable way to make use of backports in a (not so pure) Blends
concept.

Hi Andreas and everybody,

one of the problems of the above strategy is that it does not work with aptitude, which will even remove the suggested package installed by apt-get. Also, once one starts to use APT::Install-Suggests=true, it means that he can not use ‘apt-get autoremove’ for its normal intended use, which is to deinstall the packages that are not needed anymore on the system after an upgrade.

Hmm - are you sure about that? I got the impression that Aptitude flags "auto-installed" separately from the static "suggests" hints.

Are you perhaps awatre of some documentation or prior public discussion about thtis issue?

Regards,

 - Jonas