Re: Gathering package upstream meta-data in the UDD. (was: Re: more formally indicating the registration URL)

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:12:43PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> I have not found a nice simple UNIX tool to convert this to a muliti-column
> table suitable for the first SQL example. Nevertheless, it can be doe easily
> with R (see http://upstream-metadata.debian.net/scripts/umeta-reshape.r).

Well, there is no need to provide the data as multicolumn.  I would
prefer a simple JSON export.  The UDD gatherer is quite flexible and can
read all kinds of key=value relations, but JSON is a reasonable format.

> So, which format would be preferable, the wide one (first SQL example), or the
> long one (second SQL example?). For the moment, I have placed two files in both
> formats at the following URLs:
>
> http://upstream-metadata.debian.net/for_UDD/biblio.long
> http://upstream-metadata.debian.net/for_UDD/biblio.wide

To make it clear: It is NOT necessary that YOU provide a preformatted
file according to the destination table.  We rather need to DECIDE which
format is the best for further use of the UDD based data.  I tried to
explain this in a posting on debian-qa list[1].  So please do not spend
much time in different formatings and rather use a common ASCII format
with unique key - value relation.

Kind regards and thanks for your effort about upstream metadata

       Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2009/10/msg00048.html