Re: Metapackages for accessibility

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:19:37PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> When I wrote my mail about using a debconf question in the metapackage
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> I've thight about something like putting a configurable variable into
>>
>>  /etc/defaults/screenreader
>
> I do not doubt that team to be able to handle this issue.  But since we
> are discussing it here, I focus on *principles* of packaging, and
> consider that particular set of packages an example only.

This could be turned into a principle for program alternatives which
provide a similar functionality.  The metapckage might even provide
wrappers which are configurable.

> Also beware that configuration files are owned by a specific package and
> are not allowed to be edited directly by other packages - no matter if
> maintained by same team!

The config file belongs to the metapackage and the screenreader just
regard the settings in this file if it exists.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de