Re: Changes in code to create debian/control + tasks.desc file

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

These tasks are markers to know that the language was selected during
installation, and are used to make sure the education-lang-*-desktop
tasks have a task to enhance.  These tasks might also be used to
                                             ^^^^^
But they actually are not used to install anything.

install non-desktop related packages when the languages are selected,
as is done with some languages - the command line spell checking tools
are installed.

Is there any reason to not Recommend, Suggest or at least Ignore these
spell checking tools for he, ja, zh_TW ?

Here is the relevant part:

 Task: education-lang-he
 Section: debian-edu
  This metapackage depends on various office and desktop applications
  that are useful for teachers and their students.

But this description is just wrong.  The metapackage is not even created
(Metapackage: false) neither does it depend from anything.

 Relevance: 10
 Test-always-lang: he

Could you comment on this Test-always-lang field?  What is the actual
meaning of this (I'm not so educated in tasksel stuff).  Is it possible
that this test is done based on some installable packages we might add
as Recommends?  If not I would rather try a hack and create tasksel
entries in any case if Test-always-lang is set.  This should ensure the
tasksel desc files for Debian Edu will not change - but I'd regard this
kind of hackish.

 Packages: list

 Task: education-lang-he-desktop
 Section: debian-edu
  This metapackage depends on various office and desktop applications
  that are useful for teachers and their students.
 Relevance: 10
 Enhances: education-desktop-other, education-lang-he
 Packages: list
  libfribidi0
  culmus
  aspell-he
  hspell
  myspell-he
  openoffice.org-l10n-he
  openoffice.org-help-he
  iceweasel-l10n-he

Removing education-lang-he will break education-lang-he-desktop and
education-lang-he-desktop-kde, as they will claim to enhance a
non-existing task.

If tasksel is that strict about Enhances this is really an issue.

I am not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it was the way I
came up with that worked.

My suggestion would be to think about adding some existing packages.
If this is really not possible for whatever reason I try a fix on my
side.