Re: Debian Blends: Newbie Blend

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:08:34 -0400
Daniel Dickinson <cshore@brucetelecom.com> wrote:
> Do you think a lightweight debian desktop for newbies would be a good
> topic for a blend?

Hmm ...  Intriguing.

> Basically, LXDE or XFCE-based with a fairly complete set of packages
> (so that common packages for most 'average' newbie uses of the computer
> are present).

Well, in some ways "lightweight" and "for newbies" are contrary goals.
For instance, "just works" networking is not yet available for LXDE.
But LXDE + network-manager-gnome works well.  Also, newbies might
expect automounting of USB media, but this is not supported yet.

Not that I want to discourage you.  It's an interesting idea.  It's
just that from working with debian-eeepc, which recommends LXDE for the
Eee PC, I have learned from supporting our users: Though LXDE is a
great new desktop environment, and much more lightweight than even XFCE
(which really doesn't go far enough for trimming things down, IMHO) our
new users struggle with some of that last 10% of functionality that
puts the finishing touches on "fat" desktops like GNOME and KDE.

Ben