Re: Setting up your own APT repository

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 06:31:44PM +0100, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Andreas Tille wrote:
> >On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> >
> >>Where can I find good information to setup my own repo? Do I need a
> >>own website to make it available to others, or are there other ways?
> >
> >You might like to have a look at apt-ftparchive.
> >Would you mind sharing your specific purpose for a private archive?
> Thanks, I also heard of reprepro, which is better?

apt-ftparchive can be useful if you just have a package or two to offer.
For instance it doesn't automatically remove older versions of the
package. But this is no big deal if you don't have too many of them.

Reprepro is more sophisticated. It can be slightly more a pain to
operate. OTOH, it does more things for you and adds a sanity test or
two.

There are also a number of other alternatives:

  http://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository

> Is there also a place like launchpad, like Ubuntu has to make your repo
> available for public?

Answer 1:

Any web space you might have. E.g. the web space of your sourceforge
project. Or get some free web hosting.

Answer 2:
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian
Push your package into Debian.

> I just want to experiment with those tools and maybe want to build my
> own custom Debian distro...

Even when you build a custom distro, it is a pain maintaining your
custom stuff. Not to mention you don't get half the feedback and
userbase as you get when you push a package into Debian. Get your
packages into Debian (or at least most of them, and build a custom
distribution (or a non-pure blend, as some here might say) on top of
that. Maybe using some backporting for starters.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com