Re: thoughts on a new name

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:34:24PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Maybe "Debian Remix" or "Debian (Pure) Blend". Also I think it should be
> something short, "Debian Integrated Solutions" IMO not only has the
> disadvantage that some remixes aint solutions, but also that nobody will use
> it and so we will have to explain DIS again.
>
> A name should speak for itself.
>
> Or am I the only one unhappy with DIS?

i haven't wanted to get dragged into this discussion too much, as it
seems like many people have put so much energy into it and we're still
struggling with a good name.

but i too have been a little unhappy with DIS. or DISh? the silent H
makes it particularly confusing to me. and having both, makes it more
confusing yet.

i think Remix has a lot of the same problems that Custom has had- it
suggests something that may be clearly based upon, but not necessarily
part of the whole.

"Integrated" seems like a really good descriptive word, but something
about "Solutions" doesn't really seem to say anything to me.

what's been swirling around in my mind:

Debian Integrated Projects? Integrated Debian Projects? Debian
Integrated Distribution? ...

Integrated Debian Distribution (IDD)?  hmmmmm...  seems pretty direct
and to the point, with little room for confusion- dare i propose IDD as
a real contender? :)

*sigh*

live well,
  vagrant