Re: New name: Call for opinions

Hi,

from my blog:

blogging (1-182) life; title=Custom Debian Distributions shall now be called...

  * Debian Integrated Solutions. (DIS, pronounced "dish".)

  * Or at least, that's what seems to become the result of [1 this thread] on
    the[2 debian-custom] mailinglist (and some RL discussions at DebConf8).

  * I've not yet participated in the renaming discussions, at the moment I can
    only say what others already said: the terms "custom" and "distribution"
    both have several problems and renaming won't be easy. Now that I've said
    that, it occurs to me that I do have something to add: renaming established
    names is never easy, but can very well be worth the effort, if the
    established name is problematic / has shortcomings and the new one is way
    better.

  * And there I have my doubts. TTBOMK or IME, neither Debian Med nor Debian
    Edu qualify as "solutions", but are a (great) basis to build solutions...

  * Hmm, I mostly started to write this blog post, to make more people aware of
    this discussion and not to add new arguments. This should better be done
    on the debian-custom mailinglist. Please reply there :-)

  * In not totally unrelated news I'm back in Europe and catching up on my
    various backlogs. Tomorrow I plan to connect the harddrive with the
    Debconf8 videos and start/continue with that [3 backlog]... If you notice
    any problems with the already released videos, please don't tell me, but
    put them in that wiki page. Thanks!

  [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-custom/2008/08/msg00014.html
  [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-custom/
  [3] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf8/Videoteam/ToDo